Saturday, December 5, 2009

Immune System Compromised

My MMA Surgery is T-Minus 31 Days and Counting

Immune System Compromised

On December 4, 2009 I received a call from my Allergy Doctor who provided me with the results of several blood tests which were taken recently. I have been having chronic allergy infections for the past five years. I have had eight sinus infections where I needed antibiotic treatment in the past two years. These immune system “immunoglobulins” blood test (see web site below) revealed my IgA antibodies are very low and practically non-existent. They further revealed my IgG antibodies are abundant (mid-range) but are not functioning as they should.

According to WebMD:
“IgA antibodies are found in areas of the body such the nose, breathing passages, digestive tract, ears, eyes, and vagina. IgA antibodies protect body surfaces that are exposed to outside foreign substances. This type of antibody is also found in saliva, tears, and blood. About 10% to 15% of the antibodies present in the body are IgA antibodies. A small number of people do not make IgA antibodies.”

“IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. They are the smallest but most common antibody (75% to 80%) of all the antibodies in the body. IgG antibodies are very important in fighting bacterial and viral infections.”

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/immunoglobulins

The question I have: Is my compromised immune system caused by sleep apnea and not obtaining enough deep restorative sleep?
And, with successful MMA surgery, will my immune system recover?
I would be very interested to hear from anyone who may have had this same situation and what were the results after surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment