Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Few Notes of Interest

My MMA Surgery is T-Minus 36 Days and Counting

Pre-surgery Consultation

In six days I go to Stanford (Dec. 7th - this day will live in infamy). I will have a short consult with Dr. Guilleminault. I will then go see Dr. Li for my pre-surgery evaluation and consultation. I believe he will review my sleep study; conduct a physical exam; take xrays of my airway; take fiber optic imaging of my airway; discuss treatment options; and yes, discuss the costs.

Hopefully Dr. Li's findings will be that I am a good candidate for the surgery (remember I just turned 60) and that there is a very good chance of success. Based upon other blogs that I have read and the bloggers comments, I think I will be having Dr. Li leaning towards treating the apnea's by moving the jaws forward as much as possible even if it dramatically changes my looks. I told my wife, I can always grow a beard. Priest and Deacons in the Greek Orthodox Church are suppose to have beards anyways.

For those that are interested, the cost of the pre-surgery exam, consultation, and test is about $1,500. That will be a good test of my GEHA insurance coverage. I will likely pay something in the range of 25-50%.

I will write again upon my return from Stanford on September 8th.

No More Good Nights

Those few good nights have vanished as fast as they arrived (see my earlier blog). The only thing different in my sleeping routine has been the addition of a cool mist (with wick) humidifier set at 50% humidity. The brand name is Bionaire. If any one has comments about using a humidifier at night along with using a CPAP with humidifier, please let me know. I will try one more night with the room humidifier and then I will go a few nights with out it to see If a few good nights return.

Summary of the Best MMA Surgery Blogs

I have just started a summary of all the blogs on MMA Surgeries. I hope to post this like my Stages of Sleep document sometime between now and my surgery. Some of the sections of the summary will include: List of Blogs including location, date and surgeon; What to do before surgery; week by week expectations during recovery; what to eat and not to eat; etc.

Again any feedback you might have regarding this summary and what to include will be welcome.

So long for now. God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment