Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 12.......It's Official, we leave Monday

I have been communicating with Dr. Li over the weekend and we believe he will release me Monday. We will be hitting the road to return to Phoenix after our 9:15 am Monday morning appointment with Dr. Li. He will be loosening my bands so that I can open my mouth about a quarter of an inch. It has been 12 days with my teeth banded tightly together.

Update on my sleep:

I have not laid eyes on my CPAP since I packed it up the morning of the surgery. I am not sure if I even know where it is!


I am having a little trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. It took me about 2-3 hours to get asleep last night..... I felt like I was not getting enough air down my airway and oxygen in my lungs. After doing a hundred different things to try and rectify it, I just laid down and went to sleep......exhaustion, I think.
Asking Dr. Li what this episode was all about, he simply stated, anxiety!, being too compulsive and the fact that my jaw is banded shut. I like to be in control and I cannot be in control at this point with my jaw banded tightly shut. So, instead of doing a "hundred different things", I need to just relax and let go...let sleep come as it will. But, wait to hear what I have to say next........


For the first time in 15 years, I woke up (at about 3 am this morning) and felt wonderful..... I felt rested. I wanted to get out of bed, grab my wife and go dancing somewhere. With my mouth banned shut, I could not get that message across to my wife. But bless her heart, she has not slept much more than me over the past two weeks.
I went back to sleep and woke up unrested, and with some jaw pain and a headache. But I still remembered that great rested feeling that I experienced a few hours earlier, even though it was short lived......... I will be patient.



Update on my surgery:


Slight jaw pain that icing seems to take care of.


Arch bars that are wired to my teeth and hold the rubber bands are uncomfortable but bearable.
Food has been a challenge. I have to make sure I get enough protein and calories. I have to make sure I get enough fluids. I have to make sure I eat yogurt because I am still taking an antibiotic (because of my unknown aliment). I use to be a fussy eater, well no longer. I just ate green bean baby food mixed with beef broth. I also am just finishing up a shake made with whole milk, strawberry yogurt and protein mix. I am craving a pepperoni pizza with beer chaser.
I stopped using the large syringes the hospital issued to me to administer medicines and to eat liquids. I have found the reusable ketchup bottles you can buy at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond are much more efficient for delivery blended strained food and drink. I can be a little more forceful since I have a missing tooth on the right lower jaw.
I still have an on again off again headache that could be related to a lot of things such as caffeine withdrawal, tension from having my teeth closed completely with no jaw movement, and my unknown aliment.


John

1 comment:

  1. Great thing you took your time to visit your doctors regarding your sleep. I also feel that one of the reasons behind your sleeping problem is the pain in your jaw. You should now eat healthier foods and seek your doctor more often for you to be okay..

    ReplyDelete