Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 8……. The Results Are Not In

Unknown Ailment

My day started off as the last three days have started off. Did not sleep well. Woke up in the middle of the night with a 100-101 temperature range. Felt terrible with flu-like sickness, but no body aches. Jaw pain 1-2. Headache pain is 4-6. Throat pain, especially when swallowing is 7-8. I always thought that when you were sick and rested, you felt better when you woke up….Not so here.

In the middle of the night I could not sleep and it actually felt better to sit up for awhile. We searched WebMD and read up on flu symptoms and strep throat symptoms (as I previously reported) and I met many of the strep throat symptoms and few of the flu symptoms. I don’t know if that is good or bad.

Armed with my symptoms, we met with Dr. Li at 9:00 today and discussed the current problem. He looked down my nose into my throat with a video scope. He said the nose, mouth and throat are in pristine condition with no signs of infection. My recovery from his surgery is still progressing flawlessly. If it was not for this unknown medical condition, I likely would be dancing in the street and more importantly on my knees thanking God (I am still doing that).

Dr. Li thinks it is either the flu, strep throat, or some type of cold bug. To check one more thing, he ordered a chest x-ray which we did immediately at another location. It came back negative for pneumonia so again I am thankful. He also gave me a prescription for an antibiotic which may or may not help. I well be taking amoxicillin every 8 hours. If I have a bacterial infection it will reduce the time I am contagious so that is good.

So I am into my third or fourth day of this Unknown aliment. Everyone is telling me 5-7 days recovery. We just picked up some Children’s Tylenol, so I am alternating this with the Children’s Ibuprofen every 5 hours.


Recovery from MMA Surgery

This is Day 8. It’s been just over a week since my surgery. Everything has gone well. As mentioned above a scope of the area looks great. Pain is very minimal. We will know on Monday if my rubber bands will be loosened to a quarter inch opening or so. My menu of food intake should change since with no opening between the teeth I am currently limited to liquids strained to illuminate any small solids.

A funny story……. During surgery, one of my side tooth’s (a dental implant tooth) fell out from its anchored metal root. An easy fix once my jaw gets back in shape in hopefully 3 months. Well I have found that drinking these yogurt protein shakes and other blended-strained soups that are someone thick go done much easier from my right side of my mouth (where my tooth is missing). Thank you Lord.

I am still icing the chin and jaws 4-5 times a day for 30 minutes. I have lost 10 lbs without trying. Half is probably due to the ailment. I have stopped using the wedge pillow. I lie flat on my back with my normal pillow. That is a good reflection on my airway opening and stretching of my soft pallet.

I doubt I will have much more to report on my MMA surgery recovery until I can get this Unknown ailment eradicated.

2 comments:

  1. I like the tooth missing comment! ha. Maybe they should do that more often for people!! Did they save the tooth for you? We are praying that you recover from being sick so you can get on with it!! - katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did save the tooth and will have it reinstalled. It cost a fortune.

    ReplyDelete